Monday, August 22, 2011

The Power of Words

EDIT: Before I start the actual post, I stumbled across Rachael Harrie's blog a few minutes ago, and I found out about an exciting event she's running: the Writers' Platform-Building Campaign. This is what the event is about, in her words:
"Basically, the Campaign is a way to link those of us in the writing community together with the aim of helping to build our online platforms. The Campaigners are all bloggers in a similar position, who genuinely want to pay it forward, make connections and friends within the writing community, and help build each others' online platforms while at the same time building theirs."
  So, if you're interested (and I certainly was), click here to find out more.

*     *     *     *     *

Now, the actual post:

At WriteOnCon, one editor (I forget her name) made the point that writers should not take words for granted. That we should focus on our words and sentences, how we put them together and what ones we use. She said that we're in the book business dealing with words, not the movie business dealing with images - and although both deal with stories, writers should strive not to forget about the importance and power of words.

And she was right.

Of course, I great plot or a great character makes a story memorable, makes it great. But often we tend to forget that the way we write it down is just as important. Sometimes I come across chapters, scenes, paragraphs or even single sentences in novels that make me smile in awe; sometimes they put me in a good mood for days, and I remember the words for months.

Words truly are important.

Some words can be used to tell the facts, but other more powerful words and sentences can be used to invoke feelings in your reader. And I'll prove it. Last night I was in church, and the speaker showed us a video, and I'm going to show it to you. I've introduced it, the rest it says for itself. Just watch:


Words are powerful. Harness that power.

13 comments:

  1. I've seen that video but I can't remember when. It gives me goosebumps. :) And I remember a WOC editor saying that, and it's definitely something we forget about. Most writers tend to focus on the big picture instead of each word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just popping in to say hi. We're in the same Campaign group. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Just stopping by to say hello...I'm in your fantasy group for the Campaign. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany, it certainly gives me goosebumps too! I love novels or songs or films that do that, it's amazing.

    Liz and J, welcome! I'll head over to your blogs soon to say hi :) Nice to see you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nick,

    Nice to meet you, fellow campaigner!

    Great blog. Looking forward to getting to know you.

    Definitely agree with your point - I love it when a writer handles a passage (of any length) with such mastery that the words are unforgettable. One day, we too will be that epic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello fellow Fantasy Campaigner! Looking forward to getting to know you throughout the Campaign :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someday I'm going to WriteOnCon. It's on my bucket list :)

    And you're right: it's never too early to start writing! The earlier you start, the better you'll be. I look forward to getting to know you during the campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys :) I'm keen to get to know you all too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Nick. Yet another Campaigner stopping by to say hello.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are awesome. I usually reply to each one individually, so please click the "Subscribe by Email" button or check back here in a few days to see my response. Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...