Saturday, April 9, 2011

Why I Hate Fan Fiction

This is just a short post, because there is really only one reason why I hate fan fiction.

I just can't do it. And the reason for that is that I hate writing inside other peoples' worlds. Some people enjoy it, and that's fine, but I can't stand abiding by the rules of other peoples' worlds. I need to make up my own world. Because that's half the fun of writing. Seeing a place that has only ever previously existed in your head in paper.

Half the joy of writing is lost if you write about the Tsurani of Kelewan, from the point of view of Kamatsu (who by the way, you don't even know half as well as you could your own character). Or if you write a story from the point of view of the dwarf Orik, who lives in the Beor Mountains of Alagaesia. Or if you write about Frodo, or Sabriel, or Harry Potter, or Bugs Bunny. I love making up my own characters, and sometimes you can't do that in fan fiction (and even when you can, they must still live in someone else's world - see above).

And that's really my only reason: I personally find it limits creativity.

5 comments:

  1. That's my issue as well. I love exploring new ground. Playing with someone else's rules is like a coloring book--the lines are defined. I enjoy crossing the line whenever possible (in a storytelling sense, of course).

    I gave you a shout-out on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true. I'm very tired of other people jumping on others' bandwagons. This is one of the reasons I became a writer. I LOVED reading, but read so much that I started figuring out how the story ended before I got to the end and it got old. I wanted to create my own stories that ended the way I wanted them to. And had characters I wanted in them, dealing with the issues I wanted them to deal with. That's what writing is all about, coming up with new and exciting things. It's easy to follow a trend, but not so easy (and more important) to come up with something original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely know what you mean. But I won't pretend like I haven't had my time in Fan Fiction, and like I don't enjoy it. For me, it was a training ground; I learned the concepts of worlds, consistent characters, deadlines, general literary rules, stuff like that. I really do think of it like a nest I remained in, observing the world, until one day I realized I could probably do all of it on my own. So I would never tell someone to leave FanFic, especially when they're young, to create their own worlds. There is plenty of time for that. If you're still happy to frolic in a meadow someone else created, then you're not ready to write a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do know of people who like Fan Fic, and I know of writers who did exactly that - used it as a training ground. I think it's a great place to start in a writing career - but it never really did it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fan fiction. Personally I think it expands your creativity writing in someone else's world. Also I like a lot of fan fiction writers do at times change the entire world the character is in. The trick is doing it in a way that fans of that show or book still like it or brings in new fans. So while I understand why you would hate fan fiction since it doesn't work for you. I just have to say it goes opposite for me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are awesome. I usually reply to each one individually, so please click the "Subscribe by Email" button or check back here in a few days to see my response. Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...