Tuesday, August 2, 2011

And What Is Life?

The dark world turns before his eyes,
He slowly draws his final breath.
He falters, then embraces death –
And in the empty shadow lies.
     (And what is life?)

Then golden light invades the night,
And life seeps back into his veins.
It cleanses him like healing rains
And draws him to a world of light.
     (And what is purity?)

He stands upon a mountain tall,
And looks upon a fruitful land –
'Tis covered by a giant hand,
Ensuring not a second Fall.
     (And what is abundance?)

The trees are stripped, the oceans bare,
The sky is never-ending white,
The mountains are intensely bright,
The people are devoid of fear.
     (And what is essence?)

Beneath the flesh, beneath the skin,
Beneath the outer shell of all,
He sees world before the Fall,
Before the darkness spread from sin.
     (And what is heaven?)

What is the nature of our world?
The blazing light behind the grey?
If everything could fall away,
What then would our eyes behold?
     (And who is God?)

17 comments:

  1. Love this poem. Beautiful and insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem is so beautiful! I love how everything rhymes perfectly. I find it hard to rhyme, but you did so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone :) I'm quite the perfectionist when it comes to writing poetry :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sir are AWESOME! This is good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't read much poetry, honestly, but this was beautiful!<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man. I wish I had a poet bone in my body. That was a great read, Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOLY CRAP YOU WROTE THIS?!? this is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It reminds me of Tolkein. Or Poe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, guys :) And yes I did, Laura. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Jenny :) I try my best :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are awesome. I usually reply to each one individually, so please click the "Subscribe by Email" button or check back here in a few days to see my response. Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...